Time, Inc.

Founders of Time, Inc.

William Vincent Griffin, Scroll & Keys 1912

William V. Griffin of New Haven, chairman of the Yale News, was tapped for Scroll & Keys. (Surprises at Yale 'Tap' Day. Boston Daily Globe, May 19, 1911.) He was one of the original investors in Time Inc. He was the business manager for James Cox Brady, the son of Anthony N. Brady, the largest stockholder in the American Tobacco Company; and president of the Brady Security and Realty Corp. Anthony Brady's original financiers and mentors had been Frederick P. Olcott, President of the Central Trust Company of Albany, N.Y., and his successor, James N. Wallace.

Griffin married Isabel Carden, daughter of Dallas banker George A. Carden. His ushers were Louis Connick, Charles Parson, and Dr. Louis H. Levy of New York, Leone Monichetti of Florence, Italy, A.A. Green and G.W.F. Green of Dallas; and Charles B. Waller of Wilkes-Barre, Pa. was best man. (Wm. V. Griffin to Wed in Dallas. New York Times, June 21, 1914.) Griffin's sister-in-law, Caroline Burns Carden, married Captain Gerald C. Maxwell, of the staff of the British Air Ministry (Captain Maxwell Weds Miss Carden. New York Times, March 9, 1920.) His sister-in-law, Mary Elizabeth Carden, married Ralph McAllister Ingersoll, the managing editor of The New Yorker. (Miss Carden Bride of R.M. Ingersoll. New York Times, Nov. 19, 1926.) Ingersoll was later the general manager of Time, Inc. publications. They were divorced in 1938 (Mrs. R.M. Ingersoll Gets Reno Divorce. New York Times, Mar. 20, 1938; Mrs. Mary E. Ingersoll Is Dead; Was Partner in Literary Agency. New York Times, Dec. 26, 1964.) Dr. George Alexander Carden Jr., Yale 1931, married Mary Robinson Lambert, granddaughter of Dr. & Mrs. Adrian V.S. Lambert, Skull & Bones 1893. They were married by the Rev. Henry Sloan Coffin, S&B 1897. (Mary R. Lambert Bride in Garden. New York Times, Aug. 18, 1940.) She died two years later at the age of 34. (Mrs. G.A. Carden Jr., A Welfare Worker. New York Times, Apr. 29, 1942.)

Griffin was Secretary of the Thomson Hill Land Improvement Company, 54 Wall Street, whose president was Andre Weill. The firm held land in Long Island City, N.Y. (Display Ad. New York Times, April 24, 1914; April 24, 1917.) Griffin was its president in 1926-1951. (Thomson Hill Lots Lead Queens Sales. New York Times, Oct. 26, 1926. Display Ad. New York Times, April 17, 1939; April 17, 1951, et al.) Anthony N. Brady's interests in the firm included 25 shares, worth $162,500. (A.N. Brady's Estate Worth $77,042,443. New York Times, Nov. 20, 1913.)

W.V. Griffin was a member of the campaign committee to raise money for the United Hospital Fund in 1919. Other fund raisers included Guaranty Trust / Central Trust directors/trustees Cornelius N. Bliss [Jr.], Adrian Iselin Jr., J.P. Morgan (son of the Central Trust director), Percy R. Pyne, George Emlen Roosevelt, James Speyer, and Albert H. Wiggin, and the wives of Speyer and Oliver Harriman; also Mrs. C.B. Alexander; M.N. Buckner (S&B 1895); Mrs. Benjamin Brewster (S&B 1882); Mr. & Mrs. Oliver G. Jennings (S&B 1887); Ivy L. Lee; Ogden L. Mills; William Fellowes Morgan; Mrs. Henry L. Stimson (S&B 1888); Carll Tucker; Allen Wardwell (Yale 1895); Frank S. Witherbee (S&B 1874); and A. Zinsser. The distribution committee included Otto T. Bannard (S&B 1876), Cornelius N. Bliss, and James Speyer. (Hospitals Seek $1,000,000. New York Times, Oct. 25, 1919.)

William V. Griffin and James C. Brady, Nicholas F. Brady, Mrs. Nicholas F. Brady, and Vincent Astor were members of the Endowment Fund Committee of the New York Post-Graduate Medical School (Seek $2,000,000 For Post-Graduate. New York Times, April 4, 1920.) Astor and James C. Brady were elected directors, and Griffin was elected a director and First Vice President in 1924. It was the first all-lay board. (Hospital Elects Board of Laymen. New York Times, Nov. 21, 1924.) Griffin was a member of the Committee of One Hundred of the Beekman Hospital fund drive, along with Guaranty Trust directors Clarence H. Mackay, Eugene W. Stetson, and Charles H. Sabin, who was Treasurer; and Frank Altschul of Lazard Freres. Howard Cullman was its President. (Beekman Hospital Fund Drive Opens. New York Times, Apr. 15, 1925.) Mrs. William V. Griffin was elected Treasurer of the Ladies Auxiliary Committee of the Post Graduate Medical School; Mrs. James C. Brady, Mrs. Henry P. Davison, and Mrs. Oliver Harriman were members. (Benefit Performance In Aid of Hospital. New York Times, March 1, 1925.) Mrs. Griffin and Mrs. Brady raised more funds ("Whoopee" Will Aide Babies' Ward. New York Times, Dec. 5, 1928). In 1930, the Post-Graduate Hospital merged with the Reconstruction Hospital, with Griffin and Astor on the combined board (Two Hospitals Plan to Merge By Jan. 1. New York Times, Nov. 30, 1929; Hospital Union Effected. New York Times, Jan. 2, 1930.) Griffin was re-elected, and Astor was re-elected for four years (Astor On Hospital Board. New York Times, Jan. 28, 1932.) Griffin was a member of the special gifts committee in 1946, along with John [Hay?] Whitney. (Group to Aid Fund Drive. New York Times, Jan. 8, 1946.)

Griffin was a director of The Cuba Company, along with Howard Mansfield (?S&B 1871), Percy A. Rockefeller (S&B 1900), and George H. Walker (father of S&B 1927 and grandfather of S&B 1953). Its bonds were sold by W.A. Harriman & Co. and Blair & Co. (Display Ad 32. New York Times, Jan. 14, 1925.)

Griffin was elected to the board of directors of the American Brown Boveri Electric Corporation when it bought the Moloney Electric Corporation of St. Louis. (Brown Boveri Buys Moloney Electric. New York Times, Nov. 25, 1925.)

Griffin was elected to the board of trustees of the United Hospital Fund, along with Stanley Resor, president of the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency. (Harris Pledges Aid to Hospitals. New York Times, Jan. 12, 1926.) Griffin and Winthrop W. Aldrich were trustees in 1930 when John D. Rockefeller Jr. and Edward S. Harkness both contributed $25,000 (2 Gifts of $25,000 Aid Hospital Drive. New York Times, Dec. 9, 1930.) Griffin was elected to the executive committee in 1938. (Head of Hospital Fund Elected for Fourth Term. New York Times, Feb. 2, 1938.)

Griffin was a director when the Interstate Trust Company merged with the Franklin National Bank and acquired Bloomingdale Brothers Private Bank. (Display Ad. New York Times, June 2, 1927; Jan. 18, 1928.)

Griffin was elected a director of the Bank of Manhattan Trust Company. (Changes In Companies. New York Times, May 3, 1930; Display Ad. Jan. 3, 1940.) He was a member of the combined board when the Bank of the Manhattan merged with Chase National Bank, whose directors included John J. McCloy, Chairman, and Laurance S. Rockefeller. (Directors Designated. New York Times, Feb. 18, 1955.)

Griffin and James C. Brady Jr. were directors of investment counseling firm C.W. Young & Company (Advisory Firm Formed. New York Times, July 19, 1933.)

Henry R. Luce, William V. Griffin, James A. Linen 3d, and Charles L. Stillman of Time, Inc. were stockholders in a syndicate that bought seven suburban weekly newspapers in the Los Angeles area. Other stockholders included John Hay Whitney and S. Winston Childs. (Coast Weeklies Bought. New York Times, May 9, 1948.) The venture was suspended the next year. (Publishers Suspend Los Angeles Venture. New York Times, Aug. 4, 1949.)

Griffin was appointed to the President's Council of Georgetown University in 1953. He was national president of the English-Speaking Union [1947-57], chairman of the Brady Security and Realty Corporation and a trustee of the estate of James C. Brady, and a director of the Bank of Manhattan; Central Railroad of New Jersey; Continental Oil Company; Purolator Products; Time, Inc.; and the Trudeau Sanitorium, and a trustee of the United Hospital Fund of New York. (Joins President's Council of Georgetown University. New York Times, May 31, 1953; William Griffin, Business Leader. New York Times, Jan. 16, 1958.) Thomas J. Watson Jr., the President of International Business Machines, replaced Griffin on Time's board of directors. (Watson on Time, Inc., Board. New York Times, Jan. 6, 1959.)

Briton Hadden, Skull & Bones 1920

Hadden was the co-founder of Time Inc. in 1923 with Henry R. Luce. He died only six years later, at the age of 31, "from a bloodstream infection following an attack of influenza." (Briton Hadden Dies. New York Times, Feb. 28, 1929; Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University 1928-1929, pp. 199-200.) He was a one-third owner of the stock and left an estate valued at $1,028,724 net. (Yale Gets Fortune of Samuel R. Betts. New York Times, Dec. 30, 1930.)

Obituary Record 1928-1929 / Yale University Library (pdf, 394 pp)

In his freshman year at Yale, Briton Hadden was chairman of the 1920 class emergency council, which bought a $1,000 Liberty Bond. Other members of the committee were A.C. Schermerhorn, Morehead Patterson, and De Forest Van Slyck, all later tapped for Skull & Bones, and Stewart Hemingway. They were undecided whether the interest would be used for Red Cross or ambulance work, to erect a memorial, or to found an annual prize award. (Yale Freshmen to Buy A Bond. New York Times, Jun. 9, 1917.) Van Slyck, who became a top-level CIA official, was a brother-in-law of James Gamble Rogers Jr., Scroll & Key 1931.

Briton Hadden's grandfather, Crowell Hadden (1840-1930) was a trustee of the Franklin Trust Company in 1898, along with Thomas E. Stillman, formerly of the Butler law firm that created the Central Trust Company, and a relative of Charles L. Stillman of Time; and Edwin Packard, president of the Guaranty Trust. Briton Hadden's father, Crowell Hadden Jr., who died in 1905, was Assistant Secretary. (Display Ad. New York Times, Jan. 10, 1898 p. WFRQS8; Crowell Hadden, Banker, Dies At 90. New York TImes, Aug. 10, 1930 - which also states that his son, Howard S. Hadden, was in Berlin at the time.) Howard S. Hadden was an activist for Memorial Hospital, N.Y.C., in 1934. William Allen Butler Jr., the son of Stillman's former law partner, succeeded Stillman after his death in 1906, and was a trustee of the Franklin Trust until it merged with the State Bank of America in 1920, while Crowell Hadden continued as a director of the Bank of America until his death.

Roy E. Larsen

Roy E. Larsen was born in Boston in 1899, the son of Robert Larsen, a newspaper man, and Stella Belyea Larsen. After graduating from Harvard University in 1921, he worked for the New York Trust Company, and didn't like it. (Roy E. Larson, 80, Key Executive At Time Inc. for 56 Years, Is Dead. New York Times, Sep. 10, 1979.) He was said to have been "the first employee of Time magazine" as circulation manager. After co-founder Briton Hadden died in 1929, "Mr. Larsen became a 'full partner' to Mr. Luce with the title of vice president. He was the only employee exempted from the company's policy of mandatory retirement at age 65. (After 56 Years, Roy Larsen, 80, Retires As Executive of Time Inc. New York Times, April 20, 1979.) A 1954 Hill & Knowlton memo said that Larsen was a longtime friend of Clarence Cook Little, the director of the American Society for the Control of Cancer. (Discussion with Roy E. Larsen, President, Luce Publications, Friday, September 17, 1954. Confidential Memorandum, Hill & Knowlton, Inc. Oct. 7, 1954.) James Ewing of the American Society for the Control of Cancer was Time's cover boy, Jan. 12, 1931.

Hill & Knowlton, Oct. 7, 1954 / UCSF-Legacy

Larsen was a member of the executive committee of the Associated Harvard Clubs meeting in 1940. The honorary chairman was Thomas W. Lamont, who was president of the Associated Harvard Clubs in 1915. (Harvard Alumni Meet Here Friday. New York Times, May 12, 1940.) Larsen was elected to the Board of Overseers of Harvard University (Harvard Board Chosen. New York Times, June 21, 1940.) Frederick R. Martin, retired publisher and former general mamager of The Associated Press, was also chosen. In 1958, Larsen was elected President of the Overseers. He succeeded Ralph Lowell, a Boston banker. (New President Named By Harvard Overseers. New York Times, Oct. 14, 1958). Larsen was succeeded as president by Devereux C. Josephs, retired board chairman of the New York Life Insurance Company, an overseer since 1957. "Harvard's Board of Overseers. established in 1638, now consists of 30 graduates elected by the alumni. It is one of two governing boards, the other being the Harvard Corporation. The overseers visit and inspect all parts of the university and pass on major actions of the corporation. The university's president and treasurer are members of both boards." (D.C. Josephs Heads Harvard Board. New York Times, Oct. 13, 1959.)

Larsen was named chairman United Hospital Campaign fund drive in 1940. Attorney Dean Sage Jr. was vice chairman, and David H. McAlpin Pyle, the cousin of a son-in-law of James R. Angell, was president of the United Hospital Fund of New York. (Larsen Will Head Hospital Campaign. New York Times, Oct. 13, 1940.) In 1943, Larsen succeeded Pyle as president of the fund. William H. Zinsser, president of Lenox Hill Hospital, became chairman of the fund raising campaign (Heads the 65th Campaign of United Hospital Fund. New York Times, Sep. 8, 1943.) Zinsser was still a trustee of Lenox Hill in 1968-72, with John J. McCloy. In 1944, Charles P. Cooper, who was a Vice President of American Telephone and Telegraph, the President of Presbyterian Hospital, and a director of the Guaranty Trust, was elected a trustee of the United Hospital Fund; also Edward J. Noble, President of the Blue Network. (Hospital Goal Exceeded. New York Times, Feb. 2, 1944.) Larsen was on the board of directors of the United Hospital Fund in 1944 and 1945 as well. Fellow directors in 1945 included James S. Adams, president of Standard Brands, a member of the Lasker ASCC takeover group and later a partner of Lazard Freres; Bayard F. Pope, who was elected to the board of directors of Benson & Hedges in 1953, which merged with Philip Morris later that year; and T.J. Ross, who was Secretary of the American Health Foundation at its beginning in 1969. (Adams Heads Hospitals Drive. New York Times, Sep. 8, 1944; Baker Again Heads City Fund Drive. New York Times, Feb. 16, 1945.) Charles F. Kettering, Alfred P. Sloan Jr.'s associate in the new Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research, told about 1,000 diners that "the raising of the goal ought to take one-quarter of an hour if each person donated 'about the price of a package of cigarettes.'" (United Hospitals Open Fund Drive. New York Times, Sep. 25, 1945.)

In 1943, Edward J. Noble, who acquired complete control of the Blue Network, sold a 12 1/2% interest to Time, Inc. Advertising executive Chester J. LaRoche also bought 12 1/2%, and the Blue Network's president, Mark Woods, and vice president, Edgar Kobak, acquired additional interests. Roy E. Larsen was elected a director, and Kobak a director and chairman of the executive committee. (Recent Buyer of Blue Network Sells Part Interest; More To Go. New York Times, Dec. 29, 1943.) The Blue Network later became the American Broadcasting Company.

In 1946, Larsen was picked as a member of William Benton's advisory committee on the Voice of America. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of Paul G. Hoffman's Committee for Economic Development. Gardner Cowles, publisher of the Des Moines Register and Tribune, was also a member of both. (Economists Push Stability Plans. New York Times, July 8, 1946.)

Larsen was president of the United Hospital Fund again in 1946. James Bruce of General American Investors, who became US Envoy to Argentina in 1947, was vice chairman of the campaign (Hospital Drive Oct. 7. New York Times, Sep. 23, 1946.) Larsen was re-elected president of the fund for the sixth time in 1947. Mrs. Frank Adair and T.J. Ross were among the vice presidents, James S. Adams was a member of the board, and Winthrop W. Aldrich and William H. Zinsser were on the advisory committee. (United Hospital Fund Brought in $1,756,191. New York Times, Mar. 12, 1947.) In 1949, Thomas J. Watson Jr., president of International Business Machines, headed the fund raising drive (Heads 1949 Campaign of United Hospital Fund. New York Times, May 11, 1949.) In 1950, Larsen was elected chairman of the board of the fund. (New York Times, Feb. 10, 1950.) In 1951, he was elected chairman of the fund council. (Elected Board Chairman of United Hospital Fund. New York Times, May 11, 1951.) Members of the board of directors of the United Hospital Fund in 1952 were: Mrs. Frank E. Adair, Mrs. Winthrop W. Aldrich, Mrs. William Armour, J. Stewart Baker, C. Douglas Dillon, Norman S. Goetz, Perry E. Hall, Charles D. Halsey, William Hale Harkness, Harold K. Hochschild, Roy E. Larson, O. Parker McComas, Henry Mannix, Mrs. Charles S. Payson, Matthias Plum, T.J. Ross, and Edwin C. Vogel; and Carroll J. Dickson, a partner of the law firm of Olcutt, Havens, Wandless & Stitt, was elected to replace Stanley Resor, president of the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency, a 26-year veteran. (Hospital Fund Elects. New York Times, May 7, 1952.) Frank Adair and Winthrop Aldrich were associated with the ASCC and its successor, the American Cancer Society. McComas was the president of Philip Morris from 1949 until his death in 1957.

Larsen was elected to the board of trustees of the Ford Foundation in 1957. He was also chairman of the board of the Fund for the Advancement of Education, which was set up by the foundation in 1951. He was chairman of the National Citizens Commission for the Public Schools from 1949 until its termination in 1956, and other education-related groups. (Head of Time Is Named Trustee of Ford Fund. New York Times, Oct. 8, 1957.) He was a trustee of the Ford Foundation, a hotbed of anti-smoking activism, until 1969.

The heads of the various women's committees participating in the United Hospital Fund campaign were wined and dined at a reception in the penthouse apartment of Mrs. Howeth T. Ford, who was assisted by Mrs. George Emlen Roosevelt [whose husband was a director of the Guaranty Trust] and Mrs. S. Hazard Gillespie Jr. [aka Ruth Reed, daughter of Lansing P. Reed, S&B 1904 and a director of the Guaranty Trust]. O. Parker McComas was president of the fund. Board members included Roy E. Larsen and Thomas J. Ross. (Reception Dec. 4 For Aides of Fund. New York Times, Nov. 23, 1957.)

The Time and Life Building was the site of a reception honoring the backers of a benefit for the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital in Denver, Col., to be held at the Astor. It was billed as "a testimonial to C.D. Jackson, publisher of Life magazine, for his leadership in furthering the Health for Peace idea." Henry Cabot Lodge was chairman of the event, and Mrs. Vincent Astor and Mrs. August Belmont were among the sponsors. (Backers of Fete For Denver Unit Will Be Honored. New York Times, Oct. 29, 1961.)

Larsen and chairman Andrew Heiskell had apartments at 870 United Nations Plaza, a dual-use building which had 7-foot tall, 18-foot long windows in the living rooms. "But what really gives United Nations Plaza its cachet is its tenants. A more impressive bunch under two roofs would be hard to find... What is filling United Nations Plaza, especially the East tower, is a sort of power elite... Of the 71 percent that quietly make the wheels go 'round, 69 percent are senior vice presidents, executive vice presidents, presidents or chairmen of the board. In big business they include John Dickson Harper, president of Alcoa, the company that put up the building; William H. Johnstone, chairman of the finance committee of Bethlehem Steel; Chester W. Laing, president of John Nuveen & Co., investment bankers, and Lowell P. Weicker, president of Bigelow-Sanford, Inc. In publishing, they are Roy Larsen, chairman of the executive committee of Time, Inc.; Andrew Heiskell, chairman of the board of Time, Inc., and Mrs. Philip (Katherine) Graham, publisher of the Washington Post and president of Newsweek magazine. The 9 percent of the tenants who are lawyers include Christian Herter Jr., whose father was Secretary of State, and William Pierce Rogers, who was Attorney General under Eisenhower." 8 percent of the 167 tenants were "persons of independent means." The 6 percent affiliated with government or foundations included Robert F. Kennedy. The Lasker digs were in 22 rooms in 3 apartments on the 10th and 11th floors, with Mary's sister and brother-in-law occupying the upper floor, while the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation was to have its offices on one of the first six floors. (Home - Up to $166,000 - Sweet Home. By Virginia Lee Warren. New York Times, Feb. 16, 1966.)

Henry Robinson Luce, Skull & Bones 1920

Henry R. Luce's father, Henry W. Luce was licensed as a theological seminary student in the Presbytery of Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, in 1896. (Ministers and Churches. New York Evangelist, May 7, 1896.) He was chosen to be the traveling Secretary of the Inter-Seminary Missionary Alliance the same year. (Inter-Seminary Missionary Alliance. By H.H. Sweets. Christian Observer, Dec. 2, 1896.) Rev. Henry W. Luce was ordained as a missionary to China in the Second Presbyterian Church of Scranton, Penn. "Mr. Luce has been known by face among the coleges of the land for two years, as a most earnest, devoted representative of the Students' Volunteer Movement. Prior to this work he graduated in Yale in 1892, and spent two years in Union Seminary, and since has finished his course in theology at Princeton. for many years he has looked forward to the time when he should be ready to go to China." (A Volunteer for China. By WFG. New York Evangelist, May 27, 1897.) A member of the church, "in the mission field at Shantung, China," financed Luce's mission. (Ministers and Churches. New York Evangelist, May 27, 1897.) Luce spent his boyhood in Scranton, Pa. His wife was secretary of the Young Woman's Christian Association. The pastor of Second Presbyterian Church, Rev. Charles E. Robinson, D.D., referred to Luce as his "son-in-love." (A Notable Farewell Meeting. By WHB. New York Evangelist, Sep. 16, 1897.) Henry W. Luce was Vice-President of Peking University (Look to America. By A Times Staff Correspondent. LA Times, Dec. 24, 1925.) He left Yen Ching University in Peking after thirty years as its president to take a chair in the department on China at Hartford Congregational Theological Seminary at Hartford, Connecticut. He spent a year doing "post-graduate work" at Union Theological Seminary. (Topics of Interest to the Churchgoer. New York Times, Jul. 14, 1928.) His son, Sheldon Root Luce, graduated from Yale in 1933 and went to work at Time. (Marsh - Luce. New York Times, Sep. 10, 1933; and Apr. 22, 1934.)(Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased During the Year 1941-1942, p 55.)

Obituary Record 1941-1942 / Yale University Library (pdf, 320 pp)

Henry W. Luce's cousin, Robert Lee Luce, was a New York Supreme Court Justice. (Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates 1932-1933, p 67-68.)

Obituary Record 1932-1933 / Yale University Library (pdf, 271 pp)

Henry W. Luce's cousin, John Wentworth Luce, was associated with the Fleischmann Company in Chicago from 1915-29, then a production manager and vice president in charge of manufacturing at Standard Brands 1929-42, and a director since 1942. He was a member of Elihu. His father, Daniel H. Luce, graduated from New York Homeopathic Medical College in 1889. (John Wentworth Luce, B.A. 1913. Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased During the Year 1942-43, pages 114-115.) 1942 was the year that James S. Adams became president of Standard Brands.

Obituary Record 1942-1943 / Yale University Library (pdf, 312 pp)

Henry R. Luce married Lila Ross Hotz, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Tudor Haskell of Chicago, at the Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago. Rev. Henry W. Luce assisted Rev. John Timothy Stone. The bridesmaids were Jean and Dorothy Luke of Tarrytown-on-Hudson, NY; Mrs. Lee Stanton; and Olyve Graef of Washington. Morehead Patterson, S&B 1920, was best man, and ushers were to be Briton Hadden, S&B 1920; John A. Thomas, S&B 1922; and De Forest Van Slyck, S&B 1920 of New York; David S. Ingalls, S&B 1920, of Cleveland; William D. Whitney of New Haven; Alger Shelden of Detroit; Evans Woollen of Indianapolis; and F.P. [Frank Peavey] Heffelfinger, S&B 1920, of Minneapolis. (Miss Hotz's Bridal Party. New York Times, Dec. 5, 1923 p. 19.) Daniel R. Winter (S&B 1920) and Robert Hotz of Chicago, Ganson [sic - Canson Goodyear] Depew (S&B 1919) of Buffalo, and John Morris Hinks [sic - Hincks] (S&B 1920) of Brideport were also ushers (Society Folk See H.R. Luce Wed Miss Hotz. Chicago Daily Tribune, Dec. 23, 1923.) Morehead Patterson was the son of the head of American Machine and Foundry Co. and the International Cigar Machinery Company, who married the daughter of the president of the Memorial Hospital for the Treatment of Cancer and Allied Diseases, Herbert Parsons. Ingalls was the grandnephew of Los Angeles real estate magnate Charles M. Stimson, who funded missionary activities around the world, including China; and of Henry Waters Taft, S&B 1880. Luce's father-in-law, Frederick T. Haskell, was a director of the Bankers Trust Co. of New York.

Henry R. Luce was a member of the executive committee of the fund raising campaign for Roosevelt Hospital, along with Gayer G. Dominick (S&B 1909), and George Emlen Roosevelt, Thomas J. Watson, and Edwin A. Potter Jr, all with the Guaranty Trust (Aids In Hospital Drive. New York Times, Apr. 19, 1939.)

Henry R. Luce relinquished editorial control at Time in 1964. When he died in 1967, he was still its largest stockholder. Time Inc.'s board of directors consisted of: Roy E. Larsen; Charles L. Stillman, a friend of Luce who also joined the company in its early years; D.W. Brumbaugh; Rawleigh Warner; G.A. Freeman Jr.; Artemus L. Gates; Paul G. Hoffman; Samuel Meek; Maurice T. Moore, Luce's brother-in-law; Frank Pace Jr.; Hedley Donovan, editor-in-chief; Andrew Heiskell, chairman of the board; and James A. Linen. (Luce Aides: 'No Drastic Changes.' New York Times, March 6, 1967.)

The Luce Foundation Inc. became the principal stockholder of Time, Inc. The corporation had six members - Henry Luce 3d and Peter Paul Luce, Henry Luce's sons; his sister, Elizabeth Luce Moore and her husband, Maurice T. Moore, a partner in Cravath, Swaine & Moore; Roy E. Larsen; and Charles Stillman - who elect a four-member board of directors to manage its affairs. These board members were Henry Luce 3d, Mrs. Moore, Larsen, and Stillman. (Luce Foundation Gets Time Stock. New York Times, March 11, 1967.)

Maurice T. Moore

Moore married Henry Luce's sister, Elizabeth. He was a partner of the law firm, Cravath, Swain & Moore, from 1920 to 1967, and presiding partner from 1963. The firm was counsel for Time, Inc. since it moved its headquarters back to New York City from Cleveland in 1927. Moore was elected to the Time board of directors in 1939 and remained on it until 1970. He was a director of the Pennsylvania Glass Sand Corporation from 1927 to 1968; and a director of the Studebaker-Packard Corporation (Paul G. Hoffman's old company) from 1935 to 1958. He assisted Hoffman in organizing the Marshall Plan after World War II. He was a director of the Chemical Bank from 1949 to 1968, and a director of General Dynamics from 1962 to 1972. He was a trustee of Columbia University since 1952, and chairman from 1955 to 1967. (Maurice T. Moore Dies at 90; Ex-Cravath, Swaine Partner. New York Times, June 24, 1986.) Walter N. Thayer, a member of the Ash Council that created the US Environmental Protection Agency in 1971, was elected a life trustee of Columbia in 1965.

Moore was a director of the Chemical Corn Exchange Bank (Display Ad 39. Jan. 3, 1958 p. 3; Display Ad 48. New York Times, Jan. 6, 1959 p. 45.) James Bruce, who joined the board of directors of Loew's Theatres which later acquired the P. Lorillard Tobacco Company; Benjamin F. Few, the president of Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company; and Alex. H. Sands Jr., vice chairman of the Duke Endowment, were a fellow directors. Moore and Few were directors of the Chemical Bank New York Trust Company, formed from the merger with the New York Trust, while Bruce was on the Advisory Committee until at least 1971; also J. Irwin Miller of Cummins Engine Co. and H.I. Romnes of A.T.&T. and the American Cancer Society (Display Ad 38. New York Times, Sep. 9, 1959 p. 37; Display Ad 44. New York Times, Jan. 7, 1960 p. 43; Display Ad 155. New York Times, Jan. 6, 1964; Display Ad 253. New York Times, Jan. 14, 1966; Display Ad 321) and G. Keith Funston, who was a member of the National Panel on the Conquest of Cancer the next year (New York Times, Jan. 27, 1970; Display Ad 43. New York Times, Jul. 23, 1971.)

Mrs. Maurice T. Moore was a trustee of the Asia Foundation, whose trustees admitted in 1967 that it received indirect funding from the CIA, and also that they "knowingly received contributions from private foundations and trusts which have been recently named as having transmitted Central Intelligence Agency funds to private American organizations." Other trustees included Robert B. Anderson, former Secretary of the Treasury; Barry Bingham, publisher of the Louisville Courier-Journal; Morimer Fleischhacker Jr., San Francisco businessman; R. Allen Griffin, publisher of the Monterey Peninsula Herald; Caryl P. Haskins, president of the Carnegie Institute of Washington; Charles J. Hitch, vice president of the University of California and formal fiscal officer in the Pentagon; Grayson L. Kirk, president of Columbia University; Walter H. Mallory, former executive director of the Council on Foreign Relations; Turner H. McBaine, San Francisco lawyer; Robbins Milbank, retired New York advertising man; Lucian W. Pye, professor of political science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology; and J.E. Wallace Sterling, president of Stanford University. Past trustees include Paul G. Hoffman, Adlai E. Stevenson and James D. Zellerbach. (Asia Foundation Got CIA Funds. New York Times, March 22, 1967.)

Mrs. Martha Fineman, the Maurice T. Moore Professor of Law at Columbia University, performed CIA-type disinformation about secondhand smoke by pretending to oppose the anti-smokers with only the most petty, sniveling, ineffectual type of objections. (Joe LaMacchia and Martha Fineman on "secondhand smoke." Saturday Today, March 13, 1993, National Broadcasting Corporation.)

NBC, March 13, 1993 / UCSF-Legacy

Charles L. Stillman

On behalf of the Henry Luce Foundation, Stillman presented the China House student center to Dr. H.H. Kung, vice-premier of China and president of China Institute in America. Mr. and Mrs. C.V. Starr were guests at the ceremony. (Dr. Kung Accepts China House Here.New York Times, Aug. 28, 1944.) The Luce Foundation also established the Henry W. Luce Visiting Professorship of World Christianity at Union Theological Seminary. (New Chair Established at Union Seminary. New York Times, Jun. 23, 1945.)

Stillman married Francis Johnson, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Gildersleeve Johnson. Her maid of honor was Adelaide Koop. His ushers included Philip W. Bunnell, S&B 1927. (Frances Johnson plans her bridal. New York Times, Oct. 25, 1932.) "Mr. Stillman joined Time in 1928, leaving the company in 1948 to head a committee on the postwar economic-recovery program for China under the Federal Economic Cooperation Administration. He returned to Time a year later as executive vice president and a director, before his retirement in 1971." (Charles L. Stillman. New York Times, June 11, 1986.)

Charles Latimer Stillman was the son of Leland Stanford Stillman, Skull & Bones 1894, a longtime trust officer for the Bankers Trust Company. (Leland S. Stillman. New York Times, July 7, 1933.) Leland S. Stillman was one of the sons of Jacob D.B. Stillman, the personal physician of Stanford University founder Leland Stanford. Charles L. Stillman's brother, Leland S. Stillman Jr., died at his Arizona ranch of a "gunshot wound inflicted with suicidal intent." (L.S. Stillman Ends Life. New York Times, Sep. 25, 1937.)

Children of Leland Stanford Stillman / Stillman Genealogy Homepage

Time and John Banzhaf

John F. Banzhaf III of the anti-smoking group ASH petitioned the F.C.C. for fines and reprimands against three Indiana television and radio stations, WFMB, WFMB-FM, and WFMB-TV of Indianapolis - which were owned by these Skull & Bones-controlled longtime health fascism activists, Time-Life Inc. - and to hold up the license renewal applications of four California stations they also owned, KOGO, KOGO-FM, and KOGO-TV of San Diego, and KERO-TV of Bakersfield. (Anti-Smoking Group Seeks License Curb. New York Times, Nov. 14, 1968.)

Later Directors and Officers

Artemus L. Gates

Artemus L. Gates was a director of Time, Inc. from at least 1946 until 1967.

Michael Gilligan

Michael F. Gilligan, Ph.D., is President of The Henry Luce Foundation. He is on the Board of Trustees of the General Theological Seminary (Episcopal), which was funded largely by the Trinity Church of Wall Street. Richard Pivirotto of General American Investors is a fellow trustee of the GTS.

Board of Trustees / General Theological Seminary

The Henry Luce Foundation is a major funder of the Healthcare Chaplaincy, which was founded by John D. Twiname of the American Health Foundation. "Over the past decade and a half, the Foundation has made grants to the Chaplaincy totaling almost three-quarters of a million dollars." (Luce Foundation Recognizes Chaplaincy's Dynamic Programs. Partners in Caring, Fall 2000. The Healthcare Chaplaincy.) The Healthcare Chaplaincy also has ties to the American Health Foundation and to Philip Morris.

The Luce Foundation / The Healthcare Chaplaincy

Carla A. Hills

Carla Hills has been a director of Time Warner and AOL Time Warner since 1993.

J. Richard Munro

Munro joined Time Inc. in 1957, became a director in 1978, was its chairman and CEO between 1980 and 1989, and chairman of the executive committee from 1990 to 1996. J. Richard Munro, interviewed by E. Stratford Smith, June 1990: "Time Inc. was structured in its infancy by its founder, Mr. Luce, so that the journalists operated completely independently from the business people. In fact, at the hierarchy of the company, the editor-in-chief reports to the board of directors, and the CEO reports to the board of directors. So the journalists at Time Inc. have complete autonomy." [SIC! And perhaps this explains why Time aggressively fawns upon the Lasker Foundation.]

TIME Masthead, 1986 / UCSF-Legacy
Munro, 1990 / The Cable Center

So who were these directors? In 1995, directors of Time Warner included former US Trade Representative Carla A. Hills, who was a RAND trustee from 1983 to 1987; Lawrence B. Buttenwieser, partner of Rosenman & Colin and a director of the elite General American Investors; Raymond S. Troubh, director of Petrie Stores and of General American Investors; and Donald S. Perkins, Time director since 1979 and also a director of AON, Cummins Engine Co., and Inland Steel. Michael A. Miles joined its board in 1995 after resigning as Chairman and CEO of Philip Morris, and Richard D. Parsons, the president of Time Warner, promptly replaced him as a Philip Morris director.

Time Warner 1995 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Trusts for the benefit of Gordon Gray Jr., C. Boyden Gray, Burton C. Gray, Bernard Gray, and Nancy Maguire Gray, heirs of the RJ Reynolds Tobacco fortune, were brought into play in the merger of AOL and Time Warner.

Time Warner 1997 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro was a trustee of the RAND Corporation from 1984 to 1994, during the period when it produced the Manning smoking costs study.

Munro was a director of Genentech from 1988 until 1999. Charles A. Sanders has been a director since then.

Genentech 1999 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro was a director of Mobil from 1989 until its merger with Exxon in 1999, along with PM director Lucio A. Noto.

ExxonMobil 2000 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro was a director of The Kellogg Co. from 1990 until 2000. Fellow directors have included Donald Rumsfeld from 1985 to 1998; Kellogg's Chairman of the Board and CEO since 1992, Arnold G. Langbo, who was a director of Johnson & Johnson; Kellogg's former Chairman of the board, William E. LaMothe, who is a director of Sears and Allstate; and Ann McLaughlin, a member of the boards of General Motors and The Public Agenda, vice chairman of The Aspen Institute and a trustee of the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Kellogg Co. 2000 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro and Joseph Califano both joined the board of Kmart in 1990 and retired in 2001. Kmart filed for bankruptcy in 2002.

Kmart 2001 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro has been a director of Sensormatic since 1997.

Sensormatic 2000 DEF 14A / Securities and Exchange Commission

Munro is on the Board of Directors of the Yale-New Haven Health Services Corporation, and the Board of Trustees of Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Hospital Trustees / Yale Insider

Raymond S. Troubh

Raymond S. Troubh, a former partner of Lazard Freres, and a director of General American Investors, was a director of Warner Communications from 1979 to 1990, and a director of Time Warner from 1989 to 1997.


cast 09-18-09