Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center

Francis Delafield M.D., Yale 1860

Francis Delafield M.D., Yale 1860, was a member of the faculty of Columbia University since 1868. (Obituary Record of Yale Graduates 1915-1916, p. 36. His father was Edward Delafield M.D. (Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale College with Annals of the College History Vol. VI September, 1805 - September, 1815. By Franklin Bowditch Dexter, 1912, pp. 467 and 187.) The Francis Delafield Hospital of the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center was built by the city at a cost of $7 million. It opened in 1950 and was staffed by the Columbia University Faculty of Medicine. (New Cancer Hospital on Washington Heights. New York Times, Mar. 13, 1949.)

Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale, 1805-1815, p. 187 / Google Books

"Francis Delafield, at the time pathologist at Roosevelt Hospital, New York City, kept a special notebook with the title, 'Case reports of tumours of the lung, 1868-1888,' in which were recorded in his own handwriting protocols of cases of primary cancer of the lung." (Lung Cancer in the Nineteenth Century. By Milton B. Rosenblatt. Reprinted from Bulletin of the History of Medicine 1964 Sep-Oct;38(5):395-425.)

Lung Cancer in the Nineteenth Century, 1964 / UCSF (pdf, 184 pp)

His father, Edward Delafield M.D., Yale 1812, was president of the College of Physicians and Surgeons from 1858 to 1875. He founded the New York Eye Infirmary with Dr. John Kearny Rogers (Princeton 1811). His brother, Major Joseph Delafield, Yale 1808, a lawyer, was a Trustee of the College of Physicians and Surgeons from 1832 to 1875. His second wife was Julia Floyd, sister of Augustus Floyd, Yale 1814. (Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale College with Annals of the College History Vol. VI September, 1805 - September, 1815. By Franklin Bowditch Dexter, 1912, pp. 467 and 187.) Edward C. Delafield, longtime treasurer and trustee of the Memorial Hospital for the Treatment of Cancer, was Maj. Joseph Delafield's grandson.

Biographical Sketches of the Graduates of Yale, 1805-1815, p. 467 / Google Books

Dr. Edward Delafield's first wife, Eleanor (Elwyn), daughter of Elizabeth Langdon and Thomas Elwyn, was a Royal descendant of Henry I, King of France. His daughter, Alice, married Howard Clarkson, also a Royal descendant of Henry I, King of France. (Americans of Royal Descent. By Charles Henry Browning, 1891, p.25.)

Americans of Royal Descent, p. 25 / Google Books

They were the descendants of John Delafield, who immigrated to America in 1783. The Delafield family married into the royal desendants of Edward III, King of England, in 1563, and their ancestor, John Delafield, was made a Count of the Holy Roman Empire in 1697, "with remainder of the title to his descendants, male and female, of his name." (Americans of Royal Descent. By Charles Henry Browning, 1891, p.65.)

Americans of Royal Descent, p. 65 / Google Books

George W. Lane

George W. Lane was President of the Board of Trustees of the Presbyterian Hospital at his death in 1883. He had been married to two of the sisters of Daniel Coit Gilman, Skull & Bones 1852.

Heber R. Bishop

Heber Reginald Bishop (1840-1902) went into business in Boston at the age of 19, then founded Bishop & Co. in Remedios, Cuba, a few years later. In 1876, he retired from this firm, but continued as a director of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, the Candler Iron Company, the Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company, the Lackawanna Steel Comapany, and the Metropolitan Trust Company of New York. (Death of Heber R. Bishop. New York Times, Dec. 11, 1902.) Fellow directors of the Metropolitan Trust included Collis P. Huntington, Morris K. Jesup, and Dudley Olcott. (Classified Ad 11. New York Times, Dec. 18, 1883 p. 7.) Also in 1883, Bishop hosted a reception to the managers of the Presbyterian Hospital, to which John S. Kennedy was invited (The Presbyterian Hospital; A reception to the Managers. New York Times, Dec. 19, 1883.) In 1884, he gave $10,000 to Union Theological Seminary (New Theological Buildings. New York Times, Dec. 10, 1884.) His daughter, Harriet, married James F.D. Lanier, the son of Charles Lanier of the Central Trust (Lanier-Bishop. New York Times, Nov. 25, 1885.) Another daughter, Elizabeth Templeton, married James Low Harriman, the son of Guaranty Trust director Oliver Harriman (Mrs. J.L. Harriman Dies In Baltimore. New York Times, Mar. 6, 1934.) 1,598 shares of Standard Oil stock were the principal item in equal trust estates created by Heber R. Bishop for his eight children, which had increased in value by around $1,450,000 since the dissolution of the Standard Oil trust in 1911. (Bishop Heirs to Get $500,000 As Income. New York Times, Feb. 10, 1915.) His daughter, Ellen, married Moses Taylor, Scroll & Key 1893.

Dr. George Emerson Brewer, Harvard MD 1885

Dr. George Emerson Brewer was born in Westfield, N.Y., in 1861. He graduated from Hamilton College in 1881 and studied medicine at the University of Buffalo, then transferred to the Harvard Medical School. He was an intern at Boston City Hospital with Drs. Robert W. Lovett, John Munroe, and Leonard Wood, and a resident at Columbia Hospital in Washington, D.C. Then he became a "fellow by courtesy" at Johns Hopkins under Dr. William H. Welch. He came to New York City in 1887 and began his long connection with the College of Physicians and Surgeons as assistant professor in genitourinary surgery. When he resigned in 1917 to serve in the war, he was professor in surgery and head of the surgical department. He served at British Army base hospitals and was consulting surgeon to the 42d Division of the A.E.F. He entered the Army as a major and left as a colonel. After retiring in 1927, he did research in anthropology and geology at the Universities of Grenoble and Toulouse, France. His father was Dr. Francis B. Brewer. (G.E. Brewer Dead; Famous Surgeon. New York Times, Dec. 25, 1939.) He married Effie Leighton Brown, daughter of Henry Brown, D.D., rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. (Chester Wedding Bells. Philadelphia, The North American, Jun. 30, 1892.) He was one of the organizers of the American Society for the Control of Cancer in 1913.

His father, Dr. Francis Beattie Brewer (1820-1892) was botn in Keene, N.H., and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1843, where he also received his M.D. in 1846. In 1851, he moved to Titusville, Penn., where his father and brother were in lumbering and merchandising with Brewer, Watson & Co. They owned several thousand acres on Oil Creek, which Dr. Brewer used as an illuminant and lubricant several years before the first Drake oil well of 1859. He was an incorporator and director of The Pennsylvania Rock Oil Company in 1854. He moved to Westfield, N.Y. in 1861, and in 1864 organized the First National Bank of Westfield and the Townsend Manufacturing Company, later Westfield Lock Works. President Grant appointed him the government director of the Union Pacific Railroad in 1874, and he was elected to the U.S. Congress in 1882. (Genealogical and Family History of Western New York, Vol. 3. Ed. by William Richard Cutter, 1912, p. 1065.)

Genealogical and Family History of Western New York, p. 1065 / Google Books

George Emerson Brewer Jr. graduated from Yale in 1922. He married Ann Corning Fraser. (Other Marriages. New York Times, Aug. 30, 1923.) Her father, George C. Fraser, inherited $1.2 million. (Fraser Estate $1,283,238. New York Times, Sep. 4, 1913.) They were descendants of old New York merchant Thomas Fraser, of Hastings-on-Hudson, who died in 1863. (Miss Jane Fraser Dead in Hastings. New York Times, Oct. 17, 1933.) Mrs. Brewer was chairman of the New York School of Social Work at Columbia University. (Named Board Chairman of Social Work School. New York Times, Jan. 25, 1955; School of Social Work Adds Lawyer to Board. New York Times, Feb. 28, 1956.) George E. Brewer Jr. was an usher at the marriage of Hans Skabo Erichsen, an O.S.S. veteran who served in Washington and Stockholm. (Ruth E. Henderson, H.S. Erichsen Wed. New York Times, Feb. 29, 1948.) Lt. Col. George E. Brewer Jr., serial number 803213, was a member of the O.S.S. Erichsen was identified as a civilian member. (Archival Research Catalog, National Archives.)

His brother, Leighton Brewer, was a pilot in World War I. He graduated from Yale after the war, in 1920. "In World War II he served as a propaganda interpreter as chief of the Psychological Warfare Service in London, returning to the United States in 1943 to join the Army General Staff in the same capacity." (Leighton Brewer, 73, Writer and Teacher. New York Times, May 22, 1969.)

C. Irving Fisher

Fisher was the head of the State hospital and almshouse at Tewksbury, Mass., for eight years before moving to Presbyterian Hospital and a higher salary. He was a graduate of Harvard Medical School. (Dr. Fisher's Promotion. New York Times, Oct. 4, 1891.) The hospital was expanded to 315 beds from 100, after a fire two years before that partly destroyed it. Cornelius Vanderbilt, John S. Kennedy and R.W. DeForest were among the visitors. (The Presbyterian Hospital. New York Times, Dec. 20, 1891.) Mr. James Lenox was the hospital's first president in 1872. (Our Hospitals. By Thomas D. Preston. Godey's Magazine, Nov. 1892.) "The Presbyterian is almost the only hospital in the city which is under medical superintendence. For some strange and unaccountable reason the hospitals of New York City are usually placed in charge of individuals who have had no medical training. This was at one time the arrangement in the Presbyterian Hospital; but about five or six years ago its management decided to change this condition of things, and a medical officer of large experience and of high professional attainments, Dr. C. Irving Fisher, was appointed superintendent... But while there is an admirable training school in existence, there is no suitable accommodation for the nurses. These young women, after a hard day's work, are housed in nothing more than a barrack at the top of the building; and, in this respect, the Presbyterian Hospital is considerably behind the other hospitals of the city, the New York, Mount Sinai, and the German, for example, where there are separate buildings for the accommodation of the school for nurses." (The Conduct of a Hospital. By Thomas P. Hughes, D.D, LL.D. The Independent, Feb. 24, 1898.) Fisher ranked coffee and tea poisoning as a public health problem alongside typhoid, smallpox, malaria and venereal disease. (Most of New York's Illness Is Preventable. By Edward Marshall. New York Times, Mar. 23, 1913.) Fisher was quoted in advertising for Postum. (Display Ad 5. Los Angeles Times, May 19, 1913.) He was superintendent of Presbyterian Hospital until 1914. (A Suggestion; As to Heresies in the Practice of Religion. By C. Irving Fisher. Outlook, Apr. 25, 1923.) He died at age 78. Services at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church. (Died. New York Times, Apr. 27, 1924.) Dr. and Mrs. Fisher sailed to "the Mediterranean and the Orient" on the White Star liner Arabic, along with a number of other physicians and professionals (Ocean Travelers. New York Times, Feb. 7, 1907), and their pictures of Jordan are on the George Eastman House website.

C. Irving Fisher / George Eastman House

John S. Kennedy

Railroad magnate John Stewart Kennedy (1830-1909) was the president of Presbyterian Hospital from at least 1893 until his death in 1909. He was also a trustee of the Central Trust during these years.

The Central Trust (John S. Kennedy)

Kennedy was President of the Board of Managers of Presbyterian Hospital in 1893. Heber R.Bishop was Vice President; Walter Edwards, Recording Secretary; C. Irving Fisher, Superintendent; Elbert A. Brinckerhoff, Treasurer; and George E. Dodge, Recording Secretary. The hospital was financed almost entirely by the different branches of the Presbyterian Church, along with churches of the Reformed and Congregational denominations. (Urgently In Need of Funds. New York Times, Dec. 14, 1893.)

George Egleston Dodge, Yale 1870

George Egleston Dodge was the son of William E. Dodge Sr. and Melissa Phelps Dodge. He was in the lumber business of Dodge, Meigs & Co. in Jersey City. He was married to May Cossitt, daughter of Frederick H. Cossitt of the Central Trust. (Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1900-1910, p. 359.) Cossitt left bequests to the hospital when he died in 1887.

Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1900-1910, p. 359 / Google Books

William VanSchoonhoven Thorne, Yale 1885

William V.S. Thorne (1865-1920) was a manager and treasurer of the Presbyterian Hospital from 1899 to 1920, a manager of the Manhattan Maternity Hospital and Dispensary, and chairman of the board of managers of the Woman's Hospital. He graduated from Yale in 1885, and worked nine years in the engineering department of the Great Northern Railway. He was Vice President of the Pennsylvania Coal Company for five years, then Director of Purchasing for the Harriman system of railroads and a member of the boards of "a dozen of the largest transportation corporations." (Wm. V.S. Thorne Dies. New York Times, Feb. 7, 1920.) In 1902, he became an assistant to E.H. Harriman; then director of purchases of the Union and Southern Pacific systems, the Oregon Short Line Railroad, the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company, the Chicago & Alton Railway, and the Kansas City Railway, later the Northwestern Pacific. He resigned in 1913. He was vice-president and a director of the Louisiana Western Railroad and a director of the Union Pacific Coal Co., Union Pacific Land Co., Wells Fargo Express Co., Railroad Securities Co., the Pacific Mail Steamship Co., the Lackawanna Steel Co., the Fidelity and Hanover Banks of New York, and the Morristown (N.J.) Trust Co. He left $50,000 to Yale. (William VanSchoonhoven Thorne, Ph.B. 1885. Obituary Record of the Graduates, Yale University 1915-20, p. 1540.) His brother, Edwin Thorne, was a trustee of the Central Union Trust., and a great grandfather of David Hoadley Thorne, S&B 1966.

Obituary Record of the Graduates, Yale University 1915-20 / Internet Archive

Henry W. de Forest, Scroll & Key 1876

Henry Wheeler de Forest was the son of Henry Grant de Forest (Amherst 1839, Yale Law School 1840-41) and Julia Mary Weeks de Forest. He was a member of the law firm de Forest & Weeks and its successor, de Forest Brothers, until 1932. He was a trustee (with Elihu Root) of the majority of the capital stock of the Equitable Life Assurance Society, and was involved in mutualizing the Equitable and the Metropolitan Life. He was a trustee of the Bank for Savings in New York from 1888-1938, and chairman of the executive committee since 1925; a trustee of Presbyterian Hospital since 1902; a governor of the New York Hospital since 1890; a director, officer and member of the executive committee of the Southern Pacific Railway 1905-1938; chairman of the Pacific Oil Company and involved in its merger with Standard Oil of California; a director of the National Bank of Commerce and of the Guaranty Trust Company after their merger; a director and member of the executive committe of the Continental Insurance Company, Maryland Insurance Company, Texas & New Orleans Railroad, Hudson Trust Company of New Jersey, Niagara Fire Insurance Co., Western Union Telegraph, Wells Fargo & Co., Delaware & Hudson Railroad, Pacific Mail Steamship Co., American railway Express Co, and other railroad lines; a director of the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Corp., Tidewater Oil Co., and the United States Trust Company, and chairman of the First Belgian Relief Committee. He married Julia Gilman Noyes, daughter of Charles P. Noyes, whose three sons also went to Yale. Robert W. de Forest was his brother. (Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1937-1938, p. 20.)

Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1937-1938 / Yale University Library (pdf, 305 pp)

Daniel R. Noyes, Charles P. Noyes, and Edward H. Cutler were the partners of the wholesale drug firm of Noyes Bros. & Cutler of St. Paul, Minn. (It Hurt Them. St. Paul Daily News, May 18, 1892.) Charles P. Noyes' son, Charles Reinold Noyes, Yale 1905, was an executive of Noyes Bros. & Cutler until 1929. Since 1940, he was a director and officer of the National Bureau of Economic Research. During World War I, he was an officer in the Chemical Warfare Service. (C. Reinold Boyes, An Economist, 70. New York Times, Jul. 6, 1954.)

His daughter, Julia Mary de Forest married Beverly Duer, Harvard 1915, son of the late Beverly Chew Duer and Mrs. Duer. He was with the Guaranty Trust Company in its Paris office. (Miss de Forest to Wed. New York Times, Oct. 11, 1924.) He spent a summer touring Germany, Belgium, and Switzerland with J. Pierpont Morgan's son, Junius S. Morgan. (Young Mr. Morgan on Tour Abroad. New York Times, Jun. 15, 1913.) His mother and Mrs. Vincent Smith were injured when their car went over a cliff near Turin, Italy. "Beverly Duer, Jr., and another young man in the party were not injured... Mrs. Duer is a wealthy widow. Her husband, Beverly Chew Duer, was the cashier of the Bank of the State of New York. He died in 1900. Mrs. Smith is his sister. Beverly Duer, Jr., is 20 years old... Both Mrs. Duer and Mrs. Smith have spent a large part of the last 10 years abroad. Mrs. Smith lived for many years in China." (Auto Falls Over Precipice; 2 Hurt. Ogden Standard, Sep. 4, 1913.) The elder Mrs. Duer was Sophie Lawrence Pool. Her son lived in Leesburg, Va., and her daughter, Mrs. Evander B. Schley, in New York City. (Mrs. Beverly C. Duer. New York Times, Oct. 2, 1949.) The Duers were Royal descendants of Robert II, King of Scotland. (Americans of Royal Descent. By Charles Henry Browning, 1891, p.123.)

Americans of royal descent, p. 123 / Google Books

Walter Belknap James, Skull & Bones 1879

Walter B. James was born in Baltimore in 1858. "He was president of the Academy of Medicine 1914-1917, member of the Council of Columbia University from 1903, and at the time of his death Trustee of Columbia and of the Academy of Medicine. From 1889 to 1909 he taught medicine at Columbia University and for many years he was attending physician to Bellevue and the Presbyterian Hospitals. He was president of the Trudeau Sanatorium and of the Jekyl Island Club, and member of many societies devoted to science." (Walter Belknap James. College of Physicians and Surgeons Obituary Database, Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library, Columbia University.)

Walter Belknap James / Columbia University HSL

His father was Henry James, lumber merchant, of Henry James & Company. "Began medical studies at Johns Hopkins and then attended Columbia for three years, receiving degree of M D. in 1883; on staff of Roosevelt Hospital, New York City, for a year and a half and then continued his studies in Europe for two years; practiced in New York City from 1887 until his retirement in 1922; since 1889 had been connected with Columbia as a clinical lecturer on medicine (1889-1897), instructor in general diagnosis (1897-1900) and in medical diagnosis (1900-1901), lecturer on practice of medicine (1901-02), professor of same (1902-1904), Bard professor (1904-09), and professor of clinical medicine (1909-1918); member of University Council (1903-09); in 1918 elected an alumni trustee and upon expiration of his term in 1924 elected to life membership by the board; assistant pathologist to New York Hospital; visiting physician to Roosevelt Hospital 1901-09 and to Presbyterian Hospital 1904-09, consulting physician to Bellevue Hospital and to Hospital for the Ruptured and Crippled." He was a fellow of the New York Academy of Medicine since 1889, its president in 1915 and 1918 and since then a trustee. In 1918 he was a member of the American Medical Committee of the Red Cross Hospital in Paris. He was president of the Trudeau Sanitorium 1895-1927, and president of the board since 1915. His wife was Helen Goodsell Jennings, daughter of Oliver Burr Jennings and sister of Walter Jennings (S&B 1880) and Oliver G. Jennings (S&B 1887), whose sister married his classmate, Hugh D. Auchincloss, Yale 1879. His sisters were Mrs. Harry White and Mrs. Francis Newton of New York, and Mrs. Allan McLane and Mrs. John H. Johnson of Maryland. His nephews included Ellery Sedgwick James, Skull & Bones 1917; Oliver Burr Jennings, Yale 1917; and B. Brewster Jennings, Yale 1920. (Obituary Record of Yale Graduates, 1926-1927, pp. 91-93.) B. Brewster Jennings became the president of Memorial Hospital. Mrs. Walter B. James was a patroness of a benefit for the American Society for the Control of Cancer at the Colony Club, (To Aid Cancer Society. New York Times, Nov. 29, 1926), and she was an activist at Memorial Hospital, N.Y.C., in 1934. Dr. James' granddaughter married Walter Coggeshall Janney Jr. at the home of her uncle, William Sheffield Cowles, S&B 1921. (Miss Helen James Married in Capital. New York Times, Mar. 25, 1945.) James Stokes was a member of Henry James & Company.

Obituary Record 1926-1927 / Yale University Library (pdf, 346 pp)

Henry Ammon James, Skull & Bones 1874, was his brother. Henry A. James studied at the University of Jena 1874-75 and at the University of Berlin 1875-76, then attended Yale School of Law 1876-78. He "practiced law in Baltimore in office of Luther M. Reynolds for about a year and a half after graduation from the Law School and then spent over a year in rest and travel on account of ill health; in 1881 became a clerk in law office of Edward Heaton [S&B] '69, in New York City. subsequently managing clerk in law office of Anderson & Howland, of which Henry E. Howland, '54, was a member; from 1884 to 1901 shared an law office with Howard Mansfield [S&B] '71." He married Laura Brevoort, the daughter of William Ellery Sedgwick (Harvard 1846). His daughter, Dorothy, was the wife of George G. Haven, S&B 1887 [son of G.G. Haven of the Guaranty Trust]. One of his sisters was Mrs. John H. Johnson of Chase, Md. (Obituary Record of Yale Graduates, 1929-1930, pp. 45-46.) Henry A. James' son, [William] Ellery Sedgwick James, S&B 1917, was a partner of Brothers & Company and Brown Brothers Harriman.

Obituary Record 1929-1930 / Yale University Library (pdf, 398 pp)

Another brother was Robert Campbell James, Skull & Bones 1894, who died in 1896. He was with their father's banking office in Baltimore. (Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1890-1900, p. 409.)

Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1890-1900, p. 409 / Google Books

Norman James, Skull & Bones 1890, another brother, was a clerk in the Citizens' National Bank of Baltimore and secretary of the Baltimore Street Railway Company in 1891, associated with the Phosphate Manufacturing Company of South Carolina until 1895, member of N.W. James Lumber Company since 1895 and president since 1913; director of Safe Deposit & Trust Company, the Savings Bank of Baltimore, Consolidated Gas & Electric Company, Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, Louisville & Nashville Railroad, and the Atlantic Coast Line Company of Connecticut. He was a member of the Baltimore branch of the Federal Reserve Bank for several terms. (Bulletin of Yale Uiversity, Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1938-1939, pp. 72-73.)

Obituary Record 1938-1939 / Yale University Library (pdf, 329 pp)

His widow, Isabella L. Hagnat James [sic, Isabella Louisa Hagner], was social secretary in the White House during the administrations of Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. (The Auk, July, 1944, Vol.61 No 3, p. 512.)

The Auk, 1944 / University of New Mexico Library (pdf, 1p)

William Sloane Coffin, Skull & Bones 1900

William Sloane Coffin Sr. (1879-1933) was a director of W. & J. Sloane since graduation, and a trustee of the Presbyterian Hospital since 1908. He was the father of Edmund Coffin 2d, William Sloane Coffin Jr., and Margaret Sloane, and a brother of Rev. Henry Sloane Coffin (S&B 1897). (Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1933-1934, pp.105-106.) His grandfather was Edmund Coffin. His uncle, William D. Sloane Jr., was a director of the Guaranty Trust.

Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale, 1933-1934 / Yale University Library (pdf, 285)

James R. Sheffield

James R. Sheffield was a trustee of Presbyterian Hospital from 1912 to 1938. He was a member of the advisory committee of Yale's Institute of Human Relations.

Dean Sage Jr., Skull & Bones 1897

Dean Sage Jr. (1875-1943) was a partner of the law firm of Sage, Gray, Todd & Sims. He became President of the Presbyterian Hospital in 1922, and in 1924 announced its merger with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, to become the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. He was President of its board of trustees until his death. He was also a director of the Commonwealth Fund and the Josiah N Macy Jr. Foundation, a trustee of the New York Trust Company, and a director of the Sage Land and Improvement Company. (Dean Sage Is Dead; Charities Leader. New York Times, Jul. 2, 1943.) He was with Simpson, Thacher [Thomas, S&B 1871] & Bartlett [Philip G., '81] from 1900-05; then a partner of Sage, Kerr [Albert B., S&B 1897] and Gray; and Sage, Gray, Todd [William A., '97] & Sims from 1905 to 1943. He was chairman of the board of trustees of Atlanta University from 1929-43, and a trustee of the New York Trust Company from 1922-43.He was a director of the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation and the Commonwealth Fund. (Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1938-39, pages 89-91.)

Dean Sage Jr. married Anna Parker, daughter of Gen. Amasa A. Parker. E.E. Garrison (S&B 1897) of St. Louis was his best man. G. Clymer Brooke of Philadelphia, Gedham [sic - Graham] Sumner of New Haven, Joseph S. Wheelwright of New York City, all Skull & Bones 1897, were to be among the ushers. The bride's uncle, Rev. Charles H. Strong (S&B 1870) of Atlanta, Ga., was to perform the ceremony, at All Saints' Cathedral, in Albany. (Some Happenings in Good Society. New York Times, June 3, 1900.)

Yale Obituary Record 1943-44 / Yale University Library (pdf, 393 pp)

His great-grandfather, Charles Sage, married a sister of Timothy S. and Josiah B. Williams, who were both Senators in the New York legislature from the district which included Ithaca. His grandfather, Henry W. Sage (1814-1897), studied medicine briefly there. He helped Andrew Dickson White (S&B 1853) and Ezra Cornell get the Morrill Land Grant for Cornell University, and established the Susan Linn Sage School of Philosophy. He was elected a trustee of Cornell University in 1870, and was president of the board of trustees since 1875. Henry W. Sage was a "warm friend" of the Rev. Henry Ward Beecher at Plymouth Church in Brooklyn. Most of the Sage fortune came from timber. Dean Sage's father, also named Dean Sage (~1841-1902), created the Dean Sage Fund for Christian religious education at the school. William H. Sage was his uncle. (Two College Anniversaries. New York Times, Sep. 24, 1893; Death of Henry W. Sage. New York Times, Sep. 19, 1897.) Roswell P. Flower succeeded Henry W. Sage as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Cornell University. "The event of the year, and one of the epoch-making events in the whole history of Cornell University, was the establishment of the Medical College" by Col. Oliver H. Payne, to be located in New York City. (Cornell's Annual Report. New York Times, Oct. 30, 1898; Henry Williams Sage B.A. 1895. Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1938-39, page 42.)

Yale Obituary Record 1938-39 / Yale University Library (pdf, 329 pp)

Dean Sage Jr. was later a special partner in Emanuel, Parker & Co. with Grenville Parker. (Copartnership Notices. New York Times, Sep. 5, 1905 p. 10.) In 1912, he was with Zabriskie, Murray, Sage & Kerr, and was elected a trustee of the New York Trust Company. (Financial Notes. New York Times, May 16, 1912 p. 17.) He was an usher at the wedding of Albert B. Kerr, S&B 1897, to Rosamund Burr, along with Amos R.E. Pinchot, S&B 1897; Willard D. Straight; Sumner Gerard, S&B 1897; Lanier McKee, S&B 1895; and Dr. Joseph S. Wheelwright, S&B 1897. They were hitched by the Rev. Dr. Henry Sloane Coffin, S&B 1897. (In Lawn Bower, Miss Burr Weds. New York Times, Oct. 12, 1913.)

Dean Sage Jr.'s cousin, Andrew Gregg Curtin Sage (~1874-1952), was a major stockholder of the American Tobacco Company in 1924. A.G.C. Sage was a member of Scroll & Keys, 1896. (Election Day On Yale Campus. New York Times, May 24, 1895; Andrew G.C. Sage, Breeder of Dogs. New York Times, Feb. 5, 1952) He was with Moore & Schley in 1899. (Bulletin of Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates of the Undergraduate Schools Deceased During the Year 1951-52, pages 25-26.) A.G.C. Sage was an honorary pallbearer at the fuineral of Guaranty Trust director Clarence H. Mackay, along with William C. Potter and other associates from the Guaranty Trust. (Cathedral Service for Mackay Today. New York Times, Nov. 15, 1938.) Andrew Gregg Curtin Sage 2d, a great-grandson of Dean Sage Jr.'s uncle William H. Sage of Albany, was a director of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco in the 1970s and 1980s.

Yale Obituary Record 1951-52 / Yale University Library (pdf, 215 pp)

Dean Sage Jr.'s sister, Elizabeth Manning Sage, married Walter Lippinccott Goodwin of Philadelphia. His father, James Junius Goodwin, was a former partner of J.P. Morgan. Ushers included two of his Bones classmates, Grenville Parker, S&B 1898, and Joseph Stober Wheelwright, S&B 1897. The guests included Mrs. J. Pierpont Morgan. (Goodwin - Sage. New York Times, Oct. 20, 1899.) They were divorced, and she married Meredith Hare, S&B 1894, whose older brother Montgomery Hare married Constance Parsons, daughter of John E. Parsons, the president of Memorial Hospital. (Mrs. Goodwin Weds Again. New York Times, Mar. 6, 1916.) From 1900 to 1909, Meredith Hare was a law partner of Edwin O. Holter, S&B 1894. (Yale University. Obituary Record of Graduates 1932-1933, p 86.) Holter was the founding treasurer of the New York Heart Association.

Obituary Record of Graduates 1932-1933 / Yale University Library

Dean Sage Jr.'s sister, Sarah Sage, married Edwin O. Holter, S&B 1894, in Albany. He became treasurer of the New York Heart Association. (What is Doing in Society. New York Times, June 4, 1903.) Their daughter, Elizabeth Sage Holter, married Lawrence Kirktland Jennings, the son of Oliver G. Jennings, S&B 1887. It was his second marriage. (Nuptials of Miss Holter. New York Times, Mar. 5, 1944.)

Robert Weeks de Forest, Scroll & Key 1870

Robert W. de Forest was a member of the board of managers of Presbyterian Hospital from 1890 to 1931, and a vice president from 1910-15, when he was involved with the Life Extension Institute.

The Presbyterian Hospital and the College of Physicians and Surgeons decided to jointly erect a new $20,000 building. William Barclay Parsons headed the joint administrative board, with Dr. C.C. Burlingame as executive officer. Members of the Building Fund Committee: Thatcher M. Brown, Cornelius R. Agnew, Rev. Dr. George Alexander, Robert W. Carle, Henry W. de Forest, Samuel H. Fisher [Skull & Bones 1889] and William Sloane Coffin [S&B 1900]. The architect chosen was James Gamble Rogers [Scroll & Key 1889]. (Medical Centre Plans Announced. New York Times, Oct. 5, 1924.)

Fund-raisers for the Presbyterian Hospital whose husbands bore the names of Bonesmen included Mrs. Artemus L. Gates, Mrs. Ray Morris (S&B 1901), Mrs. John Ellsworth (S&B 1905), Mrs. Stephen H. Philbin (S&B 1910), Mrs. Dean Sage (S&B 1897), Mrs. John Sloane (S&B 1905), and Mrs. Henry Sage Fennimore Cooper (S&B 1917). (Hospital to Begin Fund Drive Today. New York Times, Aug. 29, 1925.)

Thatcher M. Brown, Wolf's Head 1897

Thatcher Magoun Brown was on the board of managers of Presbyterian Hospital from 1907 to 1946, and in 1925 headed campaign committee for the hospital's share of the $10 million fund for Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. He joined Brown Brothers, which his great-grandfather founded in 1818, the same year he graduated from Yale. He was a member of the board of directors of the Union Theological Seminary since 1908, and its president from 1936 until 1947. He was a former director of the Royal Liverpool Insurance Group and the Commercial Union Group, a director and member of the finance committee of Atlantic Mutual Indemnity Company; chairman of the New York board of the Prudential Insurance Company of London; a trustee of the Sun Insurance Company; a director of the Skandia Insurance Company of Stockholm, and a former trustee of the Bank for Savings in New York. His sister was Mrs. Henry L. de Forest, Yale 1896. (Thatcher Brown, Banker, 78, Dead. New York Times, May 3, 1954.) Mrs. Brown was a patroness of a benefit for the American Society for the Control of Cancer at the Colony Club in 1926. (To Aid Cancer Society. New York Times, Nov. 29, 1926.) Thatcher M. Brown's father-in-law was Daniel R. Noyes.

His grandfather, James Brown, gave $200,000 to the Union Theological Seminary, and was the oldest Elder in the Presbyterian Church (Obituary. James Brown, of Brown Brothers, Bankers. New York Times, Nov. 2, 1877), and left bequests to the Presbyterian Church, Princeton Theological Seminary, Presbyterian Board for Home Missions, Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, and the American Bible Society. (The Will of James Brown. New York Times, Nov. 9, 1877.) His father was John Crosby Brown (1838-1909), senior partner of Brown Brothers & Co. "Union Theological Seminary's share in Mr. Brown's life was unique, and of late almost absorbing. His father had been a large benefactor of the seminary, and Dr. William Adams, his father-in-law, was for seven years the President of its faculty. John Crosby Brown became a Director of it in 1868, before he was thirty, succeeding the late William E. Dodge, Sr., as Vice President of its Board of Directors in 1883." (John Crosby Brown Dead. New York Times, Jun. 26, 1909.) His cousin, James Brown (1863-1935) was a director of the Central Trust.

Charles Proctor Cooper

Charles Proctor Cooper (1884-1966) was a director of the Guaranty Trust from 1929 until its merger with J.P. Morgan in 1959. He was born in Caldwell, Ohio, and received an electrical engineering degree from Ohio State University in 1907. He taught calculus at the New Hampshire College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts (now New Hampshire State College), where he met his wife, Leonora Elizabeth Parsons. In 1908, he joined the New York Telephone Company as a junior engineer. In World War I, the Bell System sent him to the Chespeake and Potomac Telephone Company in Washington, DC, where the government's network had to be expanded from 2,000 to 64,000 phones. After the war, he returned to Ohio, managing the Cleveland Telephone Company and the Ohio Bell. In 1926, he was named a vice president of finance of American Telephone and Telegraph; in 1946, executive vice president. He retired from AT&T in 1948 as vice chairman. He was elected to the board of trustees of the Neurological Institute in 1930, then to the board of managers of the Presbyterian Hospital in 1938, was president from 1943 to 1957. (Personality: Emeritus But Not Idle. New York Times, Apr. 28, 1957; Charles Cooper, A.T.&T. Aide, Dies. New York Times, Feb. 6, 1966.) In 1931, he was elected a trustee of the Mutual Life Insurance Company, along with John King Ottley, president of the First National Bank of Atlanta, and S. Sloan Colt, vice president of the Bankers Trust Company. (Mutual Life Elects 3 Trustees. New York Times, Jun. 6, 1931.) The Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada was the largest stockholder in the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (A.T. and T. Large Holders. By the Associated Press. New York Times, Apr. 7, 1934.)

Cooper's father-in-law, Dr. Charles Lathrop Parsons (1867-1954), was a professor at New Hampshire College who became Secretary of the American Chemical Society from 1907 to 1945. In 1911, he was named chief chemist of the U.S. Bureau of Mines, but kept his ACS post during his stay in Washington. In 1913, he began promoting radium as a cure for cancer, in association with Dr. Howard A. Kelly of Johns Hopkins University and James Douglas, who had purchased mining claims for the largest known radium deposits, in Paradox Valley, Colorado. (Dr. C.L. Parsons, A Noted Chemist. New York Times, Feb. 15, 1954; America Ignores Her Radium Mines. New York Times, May 5, 1913; Radium Cure Free to All. New York Times, Oct. 24, 1913; Society Reaches 125th Birthday. Chemical & Engineering News 2001 Mar. 26;79(13).) Douglas was the benefactor of Memorial Hospital on the condition that health fascist James Ewing be its pathologist. Cooper's son, Charles Proctor Cooper Jr., graduated from Yale in 1944 and served with the Office of Strategic Services in World War II. (Mary E. Curme Wed to Charles Cooper. New York Times, Nov. 28, 1948.)

C&E News March 26, 2001 / American Chemical Society

Cooper succeeded Dean Sage, Skull & Bones 1897, as the president of Presbyterian Hospital. (Cooper Heads Hospital. New York Times, Jul. 13, 1943.) Frederick A.O. Schwarz, of the Guaranty Trust's law firm of Davis, Polk, Wardwell, Gardner & Reed was elected a trustee. (Presbyterians Name 3 to Hospital Board. New York Times, Apr. 11, 1944.) William E.S. Griswold Sr., S&B 1899; Carll Tucker, the father of Carll Tucker Jr., S&B 1947; and John Sloane, S&B 1905, were among the vice presidents. (Heads Merged Hospitals. New York Times, Oct. 9, 1945.) In 1946, Artemus L. Gates, S&B 1918; Robert A. Lovett, S&B 1918; and Sidney J. Weinberg, a partner of Goldman, Sachs & Co., were elected to the board of trustees. (Elected By Hospital. New York Times, Jun. 25, 1946.) In 1947, Edward C. Bench, S&B 1925; and Mrs. Sheldon Whitehouse, S&B 1905, whose sister's husband, Winthrop W. Aldrich, was on the board of directors of the American Society for the Control of Cancer. (Medical Center Speeds Research. New York Times, Mar. 25, 1947.) Charles S. Munson Jr., son of the Guaranty Trust director of 1939-59, was elected in 1950. (Hospital Group Names Two. New York Times, May 9, 1950.) Officers of the Presbyterian Hospital in 1952 were Charles P. Cooper, president; William E.S. Griswold Sr., Carll Tucker, William Hale Harkness, John Sloane, Henry C. Alexander, and Frederick A.O. Schwarz, vice presidents; Edward C. Bench, treasurer; W.E.S. Griswold Jr., secretary, and Thatcher M. Brown Jr., assistant secretary. Eleven trustees were re-elected and nine made honorary trustees. (Hospital Re-Elects C.P. Cooper. New York Times, Mar. 25, 1952.) In addition to the preceding trustees, a group of trustees who gave a dinner in his honor also included Mrs. Henry P. Davison S&B 1920, Mrs. Yale Kneeland, S&B 1890; Malcolm P. Aldrich, S&B 1922; and William Sheffield Cowles, S&B 1921. (Hospital to Honor Head of Its Board. New York Times, May 4, 1952.) John A. Hartford, a director of the Guaranty Trust from 1929-59, funded the Pauline A. Hartford Memorial Chapel. (Chapel Dedicated At Medical Center. New York Times, Jun. 26, 1952.) Mrs. Albert D. Lasker was a guest at the unveiling of a painting of Dr. George Francis Cahill. (Painting for Presbyterian Hospital Unveiled. New York Times, Nov. 26, 1952.) In 1955, Griswold Sr., Sloane, Alexander, Schwarz, Bench, and Weinberg were re-elected. (Presbyterian Hospital Elects. New York Times, Apr. 26, 1955.) In 1957, Frederick R. Kappel, the president of AT&T, was chosen to replace Cooper as a trustee (Hospital Picks Trustee. New York Times, Feb. 26, 1957), and Frederick A.O. Schwarz was elected acting president (Presbyterian Hospital Elects. New York Times, Apr. 24, 1957.) In 1958, Cleo Frank Craig, the former president and chairman of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, a trustee of Presbyterian Hospital since 1951, was elected president. (Ex-Chief of A.T.&T Heads Hospital Here. New York Times, Apr. 2, 1958.)

Cooper was elected to the board of trustees of the United Hospital Fund, which was headed by Roy E. Larsen of Time, Inc. (Hospital Goal Exceeded. New York Times, Feb. 2, 1944.) In 1947, he headed the men's division, along with Edwin C. Vogel and Gayer G. Dominick, Skull & Bones 1909. (Hospital Fund Sets Goal. New York Times, Sep. 19, 1947.) He was elected a director of the United Hospital Fund In 1954. (Hospital Fund At $958,783. New York Times, Oct. 22, 1954.)

In 1946, Cooper was a primary organizer of a Council for Heart Disease, whose aim was said to be "to stimulate research and public education in the field of heart ailments." The idea was said to originate from the New York Heart Association, and had the assistance of New York Gov. Thomas E. Dewey. The incorporators were Charles Proctor Cooper, vice president of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company; Dr. A. Wilbur Duryee, Gov. Dewey's personal physician; Frank K. Houston, chairman of the board of the Chemical Bank and Trust Company; Alfred C. Howell, vice president of the Guaranty Trust; Dr. Edwin P. Maynard Jr., president of the New York Heart Association; Lowell P. Weicker, president of E.R. Squibb & Sons, a pharmaceutical firm; and Carl Whitmore, president of the New York Telephone Company. (War On Heart Ills Backed By Dewey. New York Times, May 21, 1946.) The nominating committee, consisting of Dewey, Maynard, Cooper, and Stanley R. Resor, president of the J. Walter Thompson Company, chose Eugene W. Stetson, Chairman of the Board of the Guaranty Trust, as its President. (Heads New Council Formed to Aid Heart Sufferers. New York Times, Jun. 20, 1946.) Ogden White was chairman of its fund drive, and Robert L. Levy, director of the department of cardiology at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, was first vice president. (Dewey Helps Drive Against Heart Ills. New York Times, Dec. 20, 1946.) In 1947, Eugene W. Stetson directed a "special gifts" campaign for the New York Heart Association. (Stetson to Aid Drive. New York Times, Jan. 17, 1947.) Ogden White was elected to the board of directors of Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company in 1968.

W. Randolph Burgess, Ferdinand Eberstadt, and Samuel W. Meek were elected members of the Corporation of the Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York. (Three in Hospital Corporation. New York Times, Jun. 12, 1945.)

Artemus L. Gates and Robert A. Lovett (both S&B 1918) were re-elected to the board of trustees of Presbyterian Hospital in 1946. Gates had been a trustee for thirteen years before resigning in 1941, and Lovett, a partner of Brown Brothers, Harriman & Co., had been a trustee for fourteen years. Gates was also a director of Time, Inc. (Elected By Hospital. New York Times, Jun. 25, 1946.)

William E.S. Griswold, Skull & Bones 1899

William [Edward Schenck] Griswold was a lawyer and former president of W. & J. Sloane, Inc., furniture store. His first wife, Evelyn Sloane Griswold, died in 1944. His second wife was the former Ruth Emery Ledyard. Their children were Mrs. Woodbridge Bingham, Mrs. Dana T. Bartholomew, William E.S. Griswold Jr., and John S. Griswold. (William Griswold, Ex-Head of Sloane's. New York Times, Jan. 21, 1964.) His second wife was the widow of Lewis Cass Ledyard Jr. William E.S. Griswold Jr. was president of W. & J. Sloane. (Mrs. Ruth Ledyard Is Married in Home. New York Times, Apr. 21, 1948.) He was a trustee and executor of the will of William G. Rockefeller, Yale 1892. (W.G. Rockefeller Left All to Family. New York Times, Jan. 31, 1923.)

Their daughter, Adela Sloane Griswold, married Dana Treat Bartholomew [S&B 1928]. "She numbers among her ancestors five Governors of Connecticut, including Matthew Griswold, who was her great-great-grandfather, and Roger G. Griswold, her great-grandfather. She also is a great-granddaughter of the late Dr. Abraham J. Berry, first Mayor of Williamsburgh, and of the late Rev. William Schenck, a trustee of Princeton University." Her grandfathers were John Sloane, of W. & J. Sloane, and Matthew Griswold. Dana T. Bartholomew was with the firm of J. & W. Seligman. (Adele S. Griswold Engaged to Marry. New York Times, Oct. 5, 1930.)

Sidney J. Weinberg Jr.

Sidney J. Weinberg was a member of the advisory committee of the New York City Cancer Committee in 1946. The general campaign chairman was Gen. John Reed Kilpatrick, and James S. Adams of the Lasker ASCC takeover group directed solicitation by the commerce and industry committee. Other members of the advisory committee were William J. Donovan, former head of the O.S.S.; Eugene W. Stetson, chairman of the board of the Guaranty Trust Company; and Stanton Griffis, chairman of the executive committee of Paramount Pictures. (Named to Head Division in Cancer Fund Campaign. New York Times, Mar. 11, 1946.) Kilpatrick, Donovan, Adams, and Weinberg were elected to the board of directors. (Cancer Unit Elects Directors. New York Times, May 27, 1946.) Weinberg was elected a trustee of Presbyterian Hospital in 1946. He was a partner of Goldman, Sachs & Co. He was a vice chairman of the 1950 United Hospital Fund Campaign under O. Parker McComas, the president of Philip Morris. (Heads Unit in Hospital Drive. New York Times, Jul 5, 1950.)

He graduated from Princeton and the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration. In 1951, he married Elizabeth Houghton McCord, daughter of Amory Houghton. He was with the Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation in New York. (Mrs M'Cord Affianced. New York Times, May 17, 1951.)

"Bottom, Right: A $75 million check, representing a 25-year debenture issue, is presented to John E. Cookman [right], Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Shown at the presentation are [left to right] F. Warren Hellman of Lehman Brothers, Sidney J. Weinberg Jr., of Goldman, Sachs & Co., Frederick L. Ehrman of Lehman Brothers and James W. Cozad, Treasurer of Philip Morris." (Philip Morris 1968 Annual Report, p. 8.)

Philip Morris 1968 Annual Report / UCSF (pdf, 52 pp)

In 1985, he was a director of Corning Glass Works, of which his brother-in-law, Amory Houghton Jr., was Chairman of the Board. A Corning Glass subsidiary, the Pittsburgh Corning Corporation, was involved in asbestos litigation. (Memorandum from Jeffrey Sherman to Francis K. Decker Jr., Dec. 10, 1981.)

Pittsburgh Corning Corporation, Dec. 10, 1981 / UCSF (pdf, 7 pp)

His mother was Elizabeth Livingston Weinberg. (Mrs. Sidney Weinberg. New York Times, Feb. 4, 1967.) His father, Sidney J. Weinberg, made some of his first money by selling place in line during the rush on the Trust Company of America. He then knocked on doors in the building until he was hired as an assistant to the porter at Goldman, Sachs. Samuel Sach's son, Paul, gave him $25 to take a course at New York University, where he took the course in investment banking. In World War I, he was enlisted as a assistant cook. "His talents as an organizer and of 'knowing everybody' were soon recognized by his Navy superiors. He was transferred to the Office of Naval Intelligence, as an assistant in the customs service inspecting the cargoes of all vessels using the port of Norfolk, Va." He returned to Goldman, Sachs as a bond trader. He became a senior partner in 1930. At one time, he was on the boards of up to 35 corporations, in 1967 only three - Ford Motor, General Cigar, and Corinthian Broadcasting. "In 1952, after helping form the 'Citizens for Eisenhower Committee,' Sidney became its treasurer and raised $1.7-million. President John F. Kennedy is supposed to have said that Sidney Weinberg had more influence in the Eisenhower Administration than any other man." He supported Nixon in 1960, and formed the National Independent Committee for Johnson and Humphrey in 1964. He was a mentor to more than 100 graduates of Harvard Business School, including Gustave L. Levy, a partner of Goldman, Sachs and chairman of the New York Stock Exchange. (Mr. Wall Street to Mark His 60th Year at Goldman, Sachs. New York Times, Nov. 16, 1967.) One of his major deals was the 1956 sale of $650 million worth of Ford Motor stock for the Ford Foundation. In 1954, he was in charge of all the negotiations for the Lambert Company when it was merged with Warner-Hudnut to form Warner-Lambert Pharmaceuticals. He was also a director of General Electric, Sears, Roebuck, National Dairy Products (later Kraftco), B.F. Goodrich, Continental Can, General Foods, McKesson & Robbins, and Cluett Peabody. He married Helen Livingston in 1920. She died in 1967. He married Regina Pierce in 1968. (Sidney J. Weinberg Dies at 77; 'Mr. Wall Street' of Finance. By Alden Whitman. New York Times, Jul. 24, 1969.)

Sidney Weinberg Sr.'s brother, Mortimer Weinberg, an insurance broker, was also in the Office of Naval Intelligence in World War I. (M. Weinberg Dies; Insurance Man. New York Times, Jun. 24, 1956.) His brother, Emile Z. Weinberg, was also a member of the New York Stock Exchange. Their sisters were Mrs. Louis Goldstein, Mrs. Julius Klein, amd Mrs. Florentine Lieberman. (Emile Z. Weinberg. New York Times, Jun. 25, 1962.)

Weinberg was a leading fund-raiser for President Eisenhower's two campaigns. (Inner Circles of the White House. By Sidney Hyman. New York Times, Jan. 5, 1958.)

Dr. Rustin McIntosh was elected president of the Medical board of Presbyterian Hospital, replacing Dr. George F. Cahill. Dr. Howard C. Taylor Jr., director of obstetrics and gynecology at Sloane Hospital for Women and Professor of Obstetrics at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, became a vice president. (Heads the Medical Board of Presbyterian Hospital. New York Times, Jul. 28, 1949.)

Tonio Burgos, NYPROCOA Inc., was the lobbyist for Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in 1993, and also for Pfizer Inc. (1993 Lobbyist Annual Report. Office of the City Clerk, The City of New York, pp. 43-44.)

1993 Lobbyist Annual Report / UCSF (pdf, 91 pp)

<= Back to The Health Establishment and The Order of Skull & Bones

cast 05-03-15